- In a large bowl mix together first 5 ingredients
- In another bowl mix together remaining 4 ingredients
- Combine the two mixtures. Stir to blend well.
- Pour batter into large (about 10" diameter) shallow round microwaveable baking dish that's been buttered and is lined with buttered parchment paper.
- Microwave on high for 7 minutes. If oven tray doesn't turn automatically, rotate dish 1/4 turn twice while baking.
- Leave baked cake in oven for about 5 minutes before removing. When cool, transfer cake to serving platter.
*Note: Or, substitute one cup plain water for tea in liquid mixture and to flour mixture add:
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
-Sift powdered sugar on top of thoroughly cooled cake. Lovely if you make a stencil or use a doily as a stencil, just be sure cake is thoroughly cool, otherwise the sugar desgin will disappear.
-Split cooled cake horizontally, fill with layer of jam.
-Split cake horizontally and fill with a layer of softened ice cream. Freeze cake, serve frozen.